The McClintock High School Charger Band

This is the story of the forming of the McClintock High School Charger Band.  The names were kept the same to illuminate the guilty, but most of the facts have been altered, or the tale would be pretty boring.

In the Fall of the year 1964, a new high school was opened in Southeastern Tempe, Arizona, just north of Southern Avenue, on a narrow concrete and asphalt road called McClintock Drive.  It was named after James Harvey McClintock, a veteran of the Spanish-American War.  Legend has it that he shot himself in the foot halfway up the charge up Kettle Hill and rolled back down, thus earning honors by holding the rear flank of Teddy Roosevelt’s Rough Riders.  In later years, after gaining considerable weight, he fell off of a horse, breaking his neck (McClintock’s, not the horse’s).  Therefore, the school district in Tempe decided to name a high school after him, having nothing to do with the fact that his estate donated a lot of land, conveniently located in Southeastern Tempe. 
Editor’s NOTE:  The above is the stuff of legend.  Student legend.  And since students are far more likely to make stuff up than actually read a history book—ask any history teacher about that—we’ll make an effort to set the record straight:  James Harvey McClintock was born in 1864, and spent his early adulthood as a newspaperman in the Phoenix area.  When the Spanish-American War broke out, he joined the fabled Rough Riders of Theodore Roosevelt, commanding Troop B as a Lieutenant Colonel.  He was indeed wounded in the leg on 24 June 1898, but survived the war, returning to the Valley of the Sun, where he died peacefully in 1934.
Now, on to our story.  Many years after Colonel McClintock’s death, a young lad was growing up in the Valley.  This lad was Larry Mabbitt, who had the distinction of performing on stage with Wayne Newton.  Unfortunately, they were both 12 years old at the time, so there were no Las Vegas residuals coming Larry’s way—they had performed in a group of youngsters on The Lew King Rangers radio program.  Now, even in the Golden Age of Television, being a virtuoso on the french horn was not commercially viable, even if Larry did indeed make the girls swoon with his rendition of Peter and the Wolf.  So, as Wayne Newton began to get starring gigs on Lew King’s TV show, Larry Mabbitt couldn’t even get booked on Wallace and Ladmo.  And, of course, the Red McIlvane Show was completely out of the question.
This is approximately when Larry Mabbitt decided to become a band director, inspiring young people who would someday grow up and totally, savagely lampoon his life for the enjoyment of others.  After a successful career as a student at Arizona State University, Larry was chosen to become McClintock High School’s very first band director at the tender age of twenty-three (Editor’s NOTE: Every single alumnus at the reunion will be AT LEAST TWICE the age Larry Mabbitt was when he first took the helm of the Charger Band.  This was inserted here to make everybody feel REALLY old—J.D.).

The remainder of this tome is as factual as the memories and stories of each individual contributor.  The editor makes no claims of authenticity, and is not to be held responsible for any embellishments, plagiarisms, self-aggrandizements on the part of the individual contributor, or outright lies (which is probably the case for the better stories).  Before continuing, please read the following disclaimer:

This file is to be used solely for the enjoyment of the individual reader.  No legal action can be taken against anyone who wrote anything about anybody for any reason.  The e-mail addresses contained in this file can be used only for the following reasons: 1) to reconnect with a dear friend, 2) to repay that lunch money you borrowed from a buddy in 1969, or 3) to get back your copy of the algebra assignment you loaned on November 14, 1970 (if Mr. Popple doesn’t get it soon, it may jeopardize your chances of getting into a decent college).  These addresses may not be used for any commercial purposes whatsoever.  Anyone considering violating the above rules is reminded that the editor still has plenty of friends in the B-1, B-2, and B-52 communities.  So there.

The Charger Band got off to an auspicious start.  A young, impressionable student recalls Larry’s first day:

It was Mr. Mabbitt's very first day, on his very first job (after ASU kicked him out), in a brand new school called McClintock.  He was in a sparkling new and clean director’s office next to a sparkling new and clean Bandroom.  Said bandroom occupied with eager young students ready to learn from the master, who was tingling with excitement as he sat hearing the eager and bright young students warming up.  Ahhhhhh.  He sprang out of his chair and rushed to the podium, filled with a lust to make this the best band in the land.  Tapping his baton twice and saying "Ok, here we go, B flat scale, eighth notes!  And with a 1…2…3…4…and all the appropriate arm motions was rewarded with a splendid &@%!d&*+#...well, perhaps a little more work will be needed.
Larry Mabbitt continues:  Indeed, a "little more work" was needed.  We rehearsed 1 1/2 hours that night.  My goal was to be able to play the Bb scale with no one missing any notes.  My goal was partially fulfilled by a perfect playing UP the scale.  We tangled miserably trying to get back down.


Life is filled with firsts, and so is Band Life.  And from humble beginnings come other early memories:

It was practically our first "road trip" as a Band.  We, little ol' McClintock H. S., were going to our first marching competition.  It was at U of A, all the way down in Tucson. The magnificent Charger Band was traveling to a Band Day!  Forty-some brave souls (yes, the Band was once that small) were going up against all of the mighty Bands in the Valley.  I bet they quaked in their collective marching shoes.  The formations that such a small Band can do are limited, but we did a Rogers and Hammerstein Show marching into a "mountain", all halting and facing the judges and playing "Climb Every Mountain", with everyone playing with both lungs and both lips (as loudly as we could).  Mr. Mabbitt almost fell over from the volume of the sound.  Each Band was allowed a certain amount of time for the show, and as the last member touched the sideline as we marched off, Mr. Mabbitt clicked his stop watch.  We finished with 3 seconds to spare.


First Band Day . . . . First Band Inspection

I shined my Trombone as brightly as it had been when it was new.  So why is this guy taking it apart and looking at the insides?  Who would want to see all the green stuff growing inside there?


First Game against the hated and dreaded Tempe H.S.

Yes, it was a big game.  Big enough that it was played in ASU Stadium (we won, 3-2).  But every bandsman knows the real competition is between the bands—they have a game just to have something to go between the Visiting Band’s show and the Home Band’s show.  The Tempe Band was only about 3 and a half times as large as we were, so nooooooooooo problem.  Well, we were all a little nervous.  We did learn something valuable as we stood at attention that night, looking and listening.  Tempe was made of kids…a lot like us.  They were a big band, but the music wasn't well memorized, and in every squad there was someone shouting 1…2…3…4…and other directions.  Things are not always as they seem, and don't be afraid until you know there is something to be afraid of.  The year after our trip to Band Day in Tucson, we went to Band Day in Flagstaff, (we were all veterans now) and saw Payson H. S. do their show.  The Payson Band had 24 members. Things are not always as they seem…we gave them a Standing


Other early impressions:

Playing in the bandroom when it was a classroom next to Home Ec.  The Fine Arts Complex wasn't finished. . . Playing our home football games at (Goodwin?) stadium on the ASU Campus because the Football Field wasn't done either. . . Playing halftime shows in dark pants with a red sash thing as a belt, and white shirts, because we had no uniforms. . . The first show that we DID have uniforms,  we played the pregame in the "old uniforms", left before half time (still at our ASU field) to change, then ran onto a darkened field (no lights) to a formation,  then they turned the lights on and there we were in brand spanking new uniforms.  It made you stand just a little straighter.

Mr. Mabbitt had spent most of the morning trying to re-instill in the band a need to lift our legs high enough for our thighs to be perpendicular to the ground (I think he had just got his new Power Megaphone), and was doing a stellar job, as usual.  However,  Mike Searcy (drat those trombone players, nothing but trouble) seemed to think that Mr. Mabbitt's demonstrations lacked proper enthusiasm and challenged Mr. Mabbitt to a High Stepping contest. So the two of them began to march in place to the accompaniment of band members both cheering and falling on the ground in laughter.

Finally, having used up his entire bag of tricks to mold the Charger Band into the premier band in the land, Larry Mabbitt resorted to one last, gasping, desperate ploy:
A big and important concert (perhaps a competition, help me here) loomed on the very near horizon, and the band was working hard.  An extra night rehearsal was called for the woodwinds.  The next morning at the regular rehearsal nothing seemed to be going right.  Everyone was playing their little hearts out, striving for that elusive musical perfection that makes magic, but all rehearsal Mr Mabbitt continued to find fault.  Going back and doing things over and over to fix faults that we could not hear, and the band got more and more nervous.  Finally Mr. Mabbitt had his fill.  Slammed down his baton, and glared at the band.  A look of total disgust as he waved his arms and yelled "The trombones are blasting, the trumpets are lost, the clarinets are squeaking, and the french horns have missed that entrance 4 times.  I'VE JUST HAD IT!"  He reached in his pocket and pulled out a gun, aimed it at Bruce Sell and SHOT!  Then proceeding across the band, shooting as he went (a starters pistol, but who looks in a situation like that!).  By the time he got to the middle of the band, Pam Stapley (and perhaps others) was out of her chair and running down the steps to safety.  Well, after the band stopped laughing our faces off, the tension of the upcoming event was washed away and we could relax.  Mr. Mabbitt explained that he had done it the previous night to the woodwinds and sworn them to secrecy, and the hardest part was finding things to complain about, because the band was playing so well! (Editor’s NOTE: This, if done today, would end up in mega-lawsuits and possible incarceration.  But we lived in a simpler, more innocent time, when we were allowed to have fun—J.D.)

The Charger Band was indeed molded into one of the premier bands in the state, if not the nation.  We all shared in the hard work, the many hours of practice, and ultimately the glory.  And now, over 30 years later, we reunite in the spirit of friendship and respect that we all had for each other.  We weren’t perfect, but we were good.  VERY good.  Who do we have to thank?  All of the directors who have influenced us during our student careers:  David Rasmussen, Irvin Coin, Leon Rye, Robert Balsley, and, of course, that French horn virtuoso friend of Wayne Newton, Larry Mabbitt!

Enjoy the camaraderie as former students give their biographies and memories below:

Anthony Bautista ‘67
I attended colleges in AZ and CA before beginning my corporate experience in 1973.  I worked in the finance and marketing departments for large corporations in Wisconsin and New Jersey.  Returned to AZ in 1980 where I began my self-employment career.  I left AZ for Seattle in 1992 where I continue to perform business and financial consulting services for clients in WA and AZ.
Have one wife, one son, three daughters, two stepdaughters, seven grandchildren, four son-in-laws and one ex-wife.

Norma Bufford (Joiner) ‘68
Graduated from high school and was told by my Mother that if I didn’t get a job she’d enlist me in the Army.  I got the hint, and with all that marching practice I’d had in high school I enlisted in the Air Force with confidence.  No one told me that you marched on your heels, not your toes, in the military.  I met my husband in the service, married and gained an immediate family of 3 teenagers, let the government help me obtain a degree and taught Accounting for 11 years at Utah Valley State College and University of Guam.  I returned to Arizona and worked at Intel for six years and then was diagnosed with breast cancer.  I am now a five-year survivor.  So here I am, 31 years
later with a marriage (yes, the same husband), a family (now including eight grandkids) and an education but, sorry Mom, once again without a job!

Garry Neal '68
I haven't played an instrument since high school.  I went to college for 3 1/2 years but never graduated.  I was so smart that I attended three schools--Mesa Community, NAU, and ASU.
I got married in 1972 and divorced in 1993.  I just married a wonderful woman in June this year.  We are busy trying to combine two households.  What a pain in the *($.  I have two boys, Micah and Aaron.  Micah is 26 now and living in Idaho.  Aaron is 24 and living in Phoenix.
My hobbies are riding quads in the woods, playing softball, and watching any sports.  I love high school sports.  It seems they still have the desire to learn, not like most pro athletes.
I work at Navopache Electric in Lakeside, Arizona and have been there for almost 25 years.  If the stock market doesn't rebound soon I'll have to work until forever before retirement.  My plan was to retire at 55, but plans change.
One memory of band, was when we were practicing for a show one day at school.  We had just finished forming a box or circle, the exact shape escapes me (as do lots of other things now).  After we had finished the formation we were surely paying absolute attention to Mr. Mabbitt, as we always did.  All of a sudden from this mild mannered man in the center of the formation we heard "Kneel", to which we all immediately kneeled, because again we were so attentive.  I'm sure some were wondering, “What is this new command for this performance;” we had not practiced it yet.  As you know Mr. Mabbitt was good at making changes at any time before we did a show, but we were still wondering.  After we had all done what we were told, there was a silence from the center of the formation.  Then in all seriousness Mr. Mabbitt said "No, not kneel, NEAL" (pointing at me).  I can't remember what I had done wrong but will never forget the laughter from the rest of the band when all was done (Editor’s NOTE:  To this day, all of your bandmates are eternally grateful that your name wasn’t “Ralph.”—J.D.).
I would also like to pass along my sincere appreciation to Mr. Mabbitt because of his dedication and desire for perfection.  We always excelled at a performance.  We were always prepared.  The one thing I notice about bands now is that after a performance they start to dress down or change from their uniform.  We never did that.  We remained in uniform the entire game.  And at competitions we remained in uniform as well, even in the heat of Phoenix.  As much as we all thought it was not necessary at the time, I sure do see the reasons now.  We always made an impression on the judges and other directors and their bands.  We looked good and sounded better than most bands we saw.  What confidence that gave us.( Note from Jim; During my 20 years with the Arizona prison system, I did not allow my officers to appear in public in "partial uniforms," a holdover from my Charger Band days......)
Well, see you in October.  I won't be marching with the band but will be there at 6 PM to see who else can still play and march at the same time.

Cindy Stump ‘67
McClintock was still under construction when it opened its doors to a sophomore and freshman class in '64.  The class of '67 was the first to graduate from MHS.  I was editor of the school paper and co-copy editor of the yearbook.  Our class came up with the original names for the paper (GUIDON) and yearbook (HISTORIAN).  I attended ASU majoring in mass communications (print and media journalism).  Then I made my way to the big apple (the World Trade Center was under construction at the time).  I landed a job at Time, Inc. working for Time Magazine.  As fate would have it, I did not end up on the edit side but the publishing.  After 5 1/2 years there, I went on to smaller publishing companies.  In 1991 I moved to Florida and wound up working for a subsidiary of Time, Inc. (Time Customer Service).  Time, Inc. is part of AOL TIME WARNER.  I have been in Florida 11 years and last year joined a marching band (The Second Time Arounders - St. Petersburgh, FL).  We are nearly 500 strong including 100 auxiliary.  Ages range from 18 to 92.  Hi to Mr. Mabbitt and everyone who attends the reunion.  I wish I could be there too!  

Karen Anderson (Loughridge) ‘69
Since I left McClintock High School I graduated from the University of Colorado with a BS and certificate in Physical Therapy.  Jay Loughridge and I married just after I graduated and have been married ever since.  Our 28th anniversary is on October 19.  Jay received his MBA three months after we married.  Jobs at that time were hard to find, so he visited Sharon and her husband and looked for a job in California.  He found one so approximately eight months after we married we moved to California and lived next door to Sharon and her husband (Steve Russell).  I had been working at Desert Samaritan Hospital until we moved.  I found another physical therapy job quickly in California.  It was in a private office treating outpatients, but we had a contract with the hospital next door and treated their patients also.  Jay's job was with a containerized shipping company.  He worked as an accountant.  I worked with the right kind of figures; he worked with the boring figures.  Jays' job was very interesting because it allowed him to travel all over the Far East, Europe and South America.  Most of the time I did not go with him, but I was able to go with him one time to France and Belgium.  I did manage to take a trip to China with the American Physical Therapy Association.  We visited hospitals in several cities in China and shared information with them.  We had two children:  a boy, Brett and a girl, Kristin.  Our son passed away in the same accident as Sharon, but thank heavens my daughter and one of Sharon's sons survived.  Her son, David, is like my own and is very close to us.  My daughter is 17 years old and Sharon's son David is 10 years old.  We are fortunate enough to take David with us on vacations during the summer.  He is a great kid.  I quit one job in 1993 and went to work in a private office in Pleasanton, California.  I have been at this office since and enjoy my job.  I work with all outpatient clients including aquatic physical therapy.  Jay's job is no longer in accounting, but operations.  He has continued to travel with his job.  He worked a summer in South Carolina.  My daughter and I were able to visit Charleston while he was working there.  He also worked in England for 9 months.  Again my daughter and I visited him and went to France and Italy as well.  Jay and I still enjoy music.  We get once a week with friends and jam together.  Jay either plays the bass guitar or drums and I play the keyboard.  We like to play 50's and 60's music.  I still occasionally play the clarinet and played in a church orchestra for a while.  Our daughter is 17 and will be graduating from High School this year.  She is not in the choir or the band in High School, but plays piano very well.  Since we still have family in Arizona, we manage to get to Tempe a couple of times a year.  Sorry, we will not be able to attend the reunion.
I remember one morning after a marching band rehearsal the Sharon, Mabbitt and some others had a right guard fight.  Another thing I remember is that she and I really tried hard not to look at each other during band when he was angry, because we would go into a giggling fit.  It was easy to see each other because she sat on one side of the room and I on the other facing each other.  One time in particular was when he got angry and threw the chalk board eraser.  We also got caught TPing his house one night. Sharon happened to have a can of shaving cream in her hand.  He came out of his front door and grabbed her and she squirted him with the shaving cream.  I remember one time that while marching on the field we had to do an about face and I slipped on the grass and landed right on my butt.  I sat there and laughed and he was furious with me.  It was not a show, it was just rehearsal (Editor’s NOTE: Did the slip go better at the actual performance?—J.D.).

Kathie Dunstan (McMahon) ’69
After graduation in '69, I went to NAU where I majored in music education. After getting my bachelor's degree in 1973, I got married and moved to southern California where I taught band and general music. Five years later, I divorced, and moved back to Arizona. I promptly marched into Larry Mabbitt's office as head of music for the Mesa Public Schools and begged him for a job. I taught music for another seven years, and then decided to go into the regular classroom. I currently teach fifth and sixth grades at Kerr Elementary School in Mesa. But I'm still involved with music, writing musicals for schools, incorporating curriculum into scripts so kids are involved in learning in a different way. I've had some success in publishing and marketing them, but hope to do more. I'm currently working on music for a production that is part of next season's production schedule for the East Valley Children's Theatre. I have also kept up with my flute playing as a member of the Arizona Flute Society and the Ahwatukee Foothills Concert Band. I married Don McMahon in 1981 and have two grown stepchildren and four wonderful grandchildren. Life is good!

Pat Lacey ‘69
I can’t believe it’s been 33 years since I carried water coolers up bleachers and taped paper to seats!  My experience as a Charger Band Aide gave me all the tools I needed for the ultimate challenge in life—raising children.
Since graduation I’ve tried life in California and South Dakota but always came back to AZ. Up until six years ago my wife of 25 years and our two boys (10 & 16), lived in Tempe. We then moved to our life’s dream away from the city to Maricopa, AZ, and enjoy country air along with our chickens and sheep.
I have been self employed most of my life in the service industry. I started with construction cleaning and then upscale residential service as well as commercial work. For the past 15+ years I have specialized in commercial window cleaning DBA Windows Only.
I look forward to exchanging memories with the band Oct. 18, but you’ll have to pick up your own music because I have a bad back and carry your own water cans as I get short of breath and I can’t even remember how to assemble a timpani, so your on your own!

Sue Ann McGaughey (Rogers) ‘69
I haven't twirled since my Mesa Community College days. I found out that there are more enjoyable things in my life than twirling. Even though I enjoyed it as a teen. But now at 51, I'd probably kill myself if I tried to twirl the baton. I still have nightmares that I'm throwing an Arial and dropping it and Mr. Mabbitt is screaming at me to do it until I catch it! I can still picture Mr. Mabbitt throwing fits during band practice and kicking and throwing his clip board! The best fit was when kicking and screaming, he kicked over the boxes of surplus stadium cushions. (Which I still have and they have lasted longer than the cushions my children sold in High School!) I have 4 great kids, Bill 31, Jenny 29, Kristi 27 and Kathy 24. I have 9 grandchildren, 5 boys 4 girls. I'm married to George Rogers, the love of my life and my best friend. We have been married 19 years. I just got over a bout with Breast Cancer. After a mastectomy, and Chemo, I'm doing great! Life is good!

Bruce Sell ’69
Went to N.A.U. but never graduated.  As big a love for music as I had, I could tell it was better as an avocation, not a vocation.  And I suppose nothing else lit my fire.  I played in several groups in and around Phoenix and still enjoy playing; it's something that you can hold onto and enjoy all your life.  Currently I'm an Equipment Operator II for Dallas County, Dallas TX, although I mostly drive 10 and 18 wheel dump trucks.  Didn't get married until late in life (I was always a backward child (ha ha)) and my wife was transferred to Dallas, and she allowed me to tag along.  Have played in some groups here too.  I enjoy doing stained glass work, ham radio, and computers.
Mike Miller used this one at Larry Mabbitt’s retirement party:  preparing Becky Bigler to drive the "Green Bomb".  So hysterical.  The Green Bomb was an old Chevy Suburban that Larry had bought (Editor’s NOTE:  Suburban?  I remember it as being a panel truck of undetermined make, model, or species.  The shade of green has never been found in nature, nor has it been successfully replicated in a laboratory.  I’m not totally convinced that the Green Bomb was even of this Earth—J.D.).  It had incredibly touchy
brakes; just touch them and you could smoke the tires in a screeching stop.  Several of us warned Becky that because it was an old truck, you had to really stomp on the brakes, "just stand on them."  It was a big deal because Becky was the first girl to get to drive it, and she had just gotten her license.  They started out going around the parking lot after school with all us troublemakers in attendance.  Coming to the first sharp curve where we knew she would have to slow down, we suddenly saw the front end dip and smoke come from the back tires. She almost put Larry through the windshield.  We were . . . well, you can guess how hard we were laughing.
Larry Mabbitt clarifies:  The "green bomb" was a 1952 Chevy 1-ton panel truck, originally owned by the "Roosevelt Water Conservation District" as one of their maintenance trucks.  It has a 3/4 inch steel plate for a bed as there was a lathe installed (originally) in the back of the truck (Editor’s NOTE: They just TOLD you it was a ’52 Chevy.  I’m still convinced it was a forward reconnaissance vehicle from the planet Neptune.—J.D.)
Memory #2:
I did recall, that it was tradition to run from the bandroom to the practice field. And doing so very early in my junior year, I passed a short, walking flute player, gave her a friendly whack on the back and said "Come on freshman! RUN!” hoping to instill in this underling a proper respect for this tradition.  That “freshman” turned out to be Kathie Dunstan, all 5 feet zero inches and 92 pounds of her—just starting her junior year in a new school (Editor’s NOTE: I really LIKE this story—J.D.).  Well, Kathie and I never
did date--I'm sure this incident had nothing to do with it. Ha Ha.
Several More Memories:
I have family in Yuma.  My uncle taught at Yuma High School, and I know they are called the Criminals (after the Territorial Prison there, however, many don't know this).  Eric Vaughn (drummer) came to McClintock H.S. and Larry had the perfect line to introduce him to the Band.  "Eric has given up his life as a Criminal and joined the Charger Band."  And so many people came up after practice and said . . .This guy was a HOODLUM? 
A Band Party at Janet Jensen's house.  She lived out in "the sticks" well south of Baseline.  Several of the seniors and juniors gathered some underclassmen and invited them on a snipe hunt.  We still miss them, but they were after all, only underclassmen (Editor’s NOTE: Some of us made it back.  By the way, if there are no such animals as “Snipe,” then what the heck do I have one stuffed and mounted over my fireplace?”—J.D.)
Another party, and darn it, I don't remember who's house it was at.  We took cold eggs from the refrigerator and placed them on the ground in a set pattern, and got some underclassmen "volunteers" for an on the spot tryout for "Honor Squad. "  All they
had to do was memorize the position of the eggs and march right thru this "mine field" barefoot and blindfolded.  As soon as the blindfold was in place the eggs were picked up and replaced with a liberal sprinkling of Ice Cubes and Potato Chips…howls of laughter rang as person after person flunked this simple "tryout" and felt the crunch and liquid
coolness of the "broken eggs".
Mike Miller owned a Corvair.  Mike Miller always waited for the last minute to do everything.  Being the one true friend that he had, I had to help Mike to correct this serious character flaw.  After all, leaving everything until the last possible moment, can lead to disaster.  For weeks my whole family saved newspapers…all of ours and the neighbors’ too.  Sunday night we sprung our plan.  On a pretext, I visited said Mr. Miller and got into his car, and filled it with crumpled newspapers—TO THE TOP, knowing sweet Mr. Miller would, as usual, dash to his car and race off for school, timed to arrive with 30 seconds to spare…mmmmmmmm…not today!
Having still not learned from his friends, we planned another lesson.  Corvairs do get good gas mileage, but every car requires SOME gas. We wondered what would happen if Mr. Miller pulled into a gas station with the needle of the gas gauge well past "E" and found a LOCKING GAS CAP on his tank, and a note stuck on the gas cap with a telephone number he might recognize…Just hope he wasn't in GLENDALE.

Steve Capps '70
Went to UofA, graduated in 1974 and then spent 24 years in the Air Force, flying F-4s. I retired in 1998 and became one of those dreaded defense contractors working on an AF base in the Florida panhandle. Have two boys, 18 and 16 yrs old and a daughter, 8 yrs old. Divorced in 2001 and am roaming the alleyways like a tomcat. I do a lot of sailing and golfing, but work keeps getting in the way, and I'm into weight lifting.
Everything I needed for life I learned as a Band-Aid. NOT! Most of my memories are of doing the grunt work of moving equipment, placing butcher paper down on the stadium bleachers, moving the director stands around the field, and watching in awe, the magnificent synchronization of the band as they flawlessly played their tunes. I made the last part up.

Diane Sell (Peplowski) ’70
After graduating MHS in ’70, I went to NAU and got my M.R.S. degree, and then followed my husband around the world as an Army wife.  We finally settled down in Show Low, AZ, where I was allowed to play in several High School and College musicals.  I have since taken up teaching myself the violin after my son bought me one for my birthday.  I have worked for all these years in the administrative/secretarial field. I have yet to figure out how all the other people I knew got to be so old while I’m still 23!!  After putting in 25 years as dutiful wife, I found myself single again five years ago.  I suppose my biggest claim to fame are my four beautiful children.  Jennifer is 23, graduated from Boston University, and is living in Boston.  David and Paul, my 19 year old twins, both joined the Marines after High School and are working security at a nuclear submarine base outside of Seattle.  And Lisa is my baby, 17 and a Senior in High School.  I love working with wood and other crafts.  I’m dreading the day my last child moves out (they’d better come back often!).
I remember marching a very, very long parade with Mr. Mabbitt marching next to Mike Miller. After what seemed "forever," Mike asked Mr. Mabbitt how much longer. He replied "Just another block." After many more blocks, Mike asked again, "How much longer?" Mr. Mabbitt patiently replied, "Just another block." This went on and on till Mike got too frustrated to ask again!
Then I remember how Mr. Mabbitt was kind enough to rewrite the halftime show so I could march next to Mark Townsley :-)

Adrienne Semon (Wurster) ‘70
School History
1970-71 - Mesa Community College - got to play gong at one of the football games for the band.
1972-74 - Transferred to Northern Arizona University - Graduated with a BS in Microbiology (Medical Technology)
1974-75 - Northern Arizona University - MBA Graduate Studies
1975-77 - Transferred to Arizona State University and completed my Master's degree in Health Services Administration.
Work History
1976-77 - Worked as an Administrative Resident at Arizona Children's Hospital
1978-84 - Worked in Palm Springs, CA at Desert Hospital in different financial and administrative positions.
1984-95 - Moved to San Diego, CA and worked at Scripps Health in different financial and administrative positions.
1995-2000 - Worked as an consultant for Shared Medical Systems (SMS) now known as Siemens Medical Systems.
2000-01 - Took year off to recover from traveling 4-5 days a week for 4+ years.
2001- to current - Working as an Independent Consultant for UCSD Healthcare developing training programs for their Patient Registration Staff.
Also teach Healthcare Finance for University of Phoenix on a part time basis.
Martial Status
November 1983 - Married Lawrence (Larry) Wurster, originally from Pittsburgh, PA.  Larry retired in April of 2002 and I hope to join him in January of 2003.
Children—No human children
Kitty Children (just as much fun and no college required)—Buffy and Cropi both age 3

Margaret Tokle (Spurny) ‘70
Graduated class of ‘70 and went to ASU.  I got married in ‘71 to an Air Force pilot and we moved to California then to Louisiana and back to Arizona.  While in Louisiana our first son was born, Kirk.  Returning to Arizona sons Jeremy and Brett were born, so the life of a busy mom started.  Here and there for hockey, t-ball, soccer, swim team and football, all those practice nights and game days, glad that is all behind us now.  The boys all graduated from Dobson High, and boy what mixed feelings I had on those games against McClintock...I kind of cheered inside for the Chargers, but of course I cheered loudly for the Mustangs.  Kirk went to ASU and was involved with ROTC and was commissioned into the Air Force after graduating; he got a pilot slot and went into training and became an F-15 pilot.  Sadly, we lost him in a flying accident over Scotland 18 months ago.  A parent's worst nightmare come true, a child you cherish and love, is gone.  But we thank God that he was a Christian and is in the presence of our Lord and is safe.  Kirk left a wife (Jackie) of less than 2 years.
Jeremy was appointed and graduated from the Air Force Academy in ’98; he too went into pilot training, and flies the F-15.  He was married this July in San Antonio (the week of their worst flooding) to Rachel, a 4th year medical student.  They are living in Virginia. Jeremy's been to the no-fly zone and returns again next year.
Brett is an ASU student studying airport management; he wants to fly too.  He is expected to graduate this spring--hurray!! He wants to go Air Force or the guard, it changes every few weeks.
At the end of the ‘80's I went back to school and became a honest to goodness nurse.  A real RN, and I work the recovery room, (the wake up room from surgery) I make sure you are breathing and that your pain is under control.  I work several places, out patient surgical centers and the hospital, Valley Lutheran.  It is enjoyable work, but the politics suck!  Of course, we have a nursing shortage which really is impacted when the snowbirds arrive...
Bob and I have been married a little over 2 years; he is an eye doc, a very nice guy, loves to hunt, hike and ride his motorcycle.  We did a cruise to Tahiti last year, and are planning on an Alaskan cruise for next year.  Our lives are busy but happy, and we just thank God that he is faithful and loving and comforts us in our sorrow.

Lori Anderson (Zuest) ‘71
Started college at Mesa Community, continued my education in the military where I became an Air Traffic Controller for the Air Force (may have told John Dunstan where to go [Editor’s NOTE:  Wouldn’t have been the first time—J.D.]). Met and married Chris, had 3 children, the twins Sara and Chris Jr. are approaching their 21st birthday and Stephanie who just turned 16. I retired from the Air Force In 1997, after 20 years, and now work for the Air National Guard Headquarters as a Terminal Instrument Procedures specialist in Arlington Virginia. We're currently living in Fredericksburg Virginia, and looking forward to really retiring so we can travel.

Imogene Hollis ‘71
After High School, I attended ASU for 3 years, leaving in '74 to get married. A few years later, I was divorced and on my own. I worked as a Nurses Assistant, Medical Assistant and Accounting Clerk until '85 when I decided to finish my degree at ASU. I graduated in '87 with a BS in Psychology and went on to Gonzaga University in Spokane, WA where I got my Master's in Counseling Psychology in '89. I fell in love with the Northwest and decided to stay, living briefly in Moses Lake, WA, then moving to Portland where I have been an Elementary School Counselor for 8 years. I work in a small, K-3 school with about 300 students - just the perfect size. We have a great staff and a wonderful principal and I am happy as a clam! Now, if the State Legislature would resolve the School Budget Crisis, everything would be perfect! (I'm sure educators in every state can relate to that one!).  Eight years ago, while attending a meditation training (I have been following the teachings of Tibetan Buddhism for 17 years now), I met my husband, Gordon Rappole. We just celebrated our 7th anniversary in July and are looking forward to many more. Three years ago, we bought a 1929 bungalow-style house in Portland and have been making improvements steadily (there is always something to do with an old house!). This weekend, we're digging a hole for a water garden! We're too old to have kids so we have 4 cats instead. I think I could've put at least one child through college with the money I've spent on vet bills! But we love them dearly. We also love the northwest (even the rain's not so bad!), spending as much time as we can at the beach - there's nothing as beautiful as the Oregon coast!  Two years ago, as a Christmas present, Gordon had my B flat clarinet refurbished and gave me an application to the One More Time Around Again Marching Band (I think he was tired of hearing me moan about wanting to join!). It's known as the World's Largest Marching Band and is made up of former High School, College, and Military band members. There are over 500 members, including a Dance Team, Twirlers, Rifle Corp, and Flag Team. The current Miss America, Katy Harmon is a member. We perform in both Portland Rose Festival parades (the Starlight and the Grand Floral) and the Festival of Bands (we don't compete, we're just there for entertainment). This year, we've been invited to play at an Oregon State University football game (our director is an alum). I can't tell you how much fun it is to be playing in a band again. And the band's sound is amazingly good, considering we only have eight rehearsals a year!

Larry Hoover ‘71
I am currently living in Carmel, California, working for Inns by the Sea, a small group of Inns from Half Moon Bay to Santa Barbara.  I oversee the day to day operations and have been here and with this company for the last 16 years.  Carmel is one of the most beautiful places in the world and I feel very lucky to be here.  I am convinced I have found my niche in life and will probably be here forever.
I have two great kids, both who have graduated from college and are currently living in Oklahoma, close to their mom.  They are both single and "exploring life" right now.  They know right from wrong, they are smart and their credit cards are paid off.  What more could a parent want!
I hope when you are my way, you will give me a call.  I am a great tour guide and Central California could use the visitor travel.
I have so many positive memories of the band.  It is difficult to pick one.  As I look back on it now, the band was the first time I really worked hard at any one thing.  There of course was the "social scene".  There always seemed to be a party or a group of people to go out with.  That was fun, but it was the hard work and the feeling of real accomplishment that made most of us want to work even harder.  These are lessons not easily learned in most classrooms and if you think about them now, probably some of the most important lessons you hope to ever gain.  Larry Mabbitt did that for me.  Fun years, growing years, years that I needed all the help I could get.  The band helped to shape my life a little and as I look at it, that was a good thing!

Jim Klein ’71
My favorite band memory is the cadence. I still have the record we cut, and play it occasionally.  Aquarius/ Let the Sun Shine In" for Marching Band. For Concert Band. After graduating in 1971, I kept working for Jack in the Box, and got married. In 1977, I left both. I have four sons, and now three grandkids from that marriage. I drove trucks for a few years, then spent two years on industrial leave after some unfortunate accidents. I returned to the workforce with a self service gas chain, and worked for them for two years. I was recruited by some corrections officers who came through my station regularly, and started working at the state prison in Florence in 1984. I have progressed through the ranks, and am currently the Chief of Security at ASPC-Florence.(Major) I expect to be promoted to Associate Deputy Warden in the next month. I remarried in 1981, and have two children in that marriage. I live in Mesa, AZ, and my daughter's music teacher worked for Larry Mabbitt before he retired.  I have 57 credits towards a BSBM from the University of Phoenix Online.
Dave (Klein ’72) graduated from TI, went to work at Texas Instruments, and now works for HP. He has a son and three step children, and lives in Dallas.

Peggy Minter ‘71
I graduated from ASU in Nutrition/Dietetics in December 1975.  I moved to Boston, MASS where in 1976 with my first husband, Terry Driscoll, got a great job.  While living in Boston, I completed my Masters Degree in Nutrition Education from Boston University in May 1977; but in June, Terry died in a bicycling accident, throwing my whole life into one big question about why we are here on earth.
Two years later I moved to Cedaredge, (Hotchkiss, Paonia...RURAL!) Colorado
and married Lee Armitage, and had an incredible life living off the land with the rest of the hippies and cowboys (what an interesting mix of population!), where I had a booming nutrition consulting business on the western slope of Colorado.  Lee was a CFI (Certified Flight Instructor), so I learned how to pilot a single engine plane and we flew all over the USA and even down into Baja, Mexico.  (What a wonderful experience!)
After 5 years we divorced, I sold my business, and I took six months to travel solo around the US in a camper (What another wonderful experience!), and finally ended up back in Boston with the friends I had made years earlier.  I changed careers and began a life as an accountant (yes ~ a big change!) for non-profit organizations.  A few years later I married a musician (wouldn't you guess it?~ my mom freaked, concerned about stability!), keyboardist, Mark Smith, who taught at Berklee College of Jazz Music in Boston.  In 1989 we moved to Portland, Oregon so we could buy an affordable house.  Life was good for a few years, then we divorced and I've been living happily on my own since 1996.
I am currently the Business Manager of 'Old Town Clinic' in Portland, Oregon.  My job is to keep this medical clinic that sees mostly homeless, uninsured and underinsured people in the Portland area, open.  I keep track of the monetary bottom line and, in an era of economic downturn, believe me, I have my hands full.  We are the last door on the block for healthcare for the poorest of the poor...we don't turn anyone away.  It's a very fulfilling job.
In all my 20 years of marriage (to various men), I've never had children.  So my pets get the utmost of my attention!  I have been a cat person for most of my life, with nine cats of varying heritage sharing my life over the past 20 years.  At the present time I have a purebred Birman cat (looks like a long-haired Siamese, but without the loud voice!), Jasmine.  Sadly, her littermate brother, Smokey, (hence my hotmail name: SmokeyJasmine), died last Christmas.  A couple years ago for the first time in my life, I decided to adopt a dog. I wanted a calm dog, and the calmest dog at the Humane Society was also the biggest, so I ended up taking home a Great Pyrenees, Bella.  She's huge - about 100 pounds, but she is an incredible addition in my life, and I can't believe I didn't have a dog before this.  I can't imagine being "dogless" ever again!
So, how do I do spend my time now?  Let's see...I have three jobs.  In addition to my full time job as Business Manager for Old Town Clinic, I work at 'O'Gallerie Auctions' as the Auction Clerk, recording who buys what for how much, at a scheduled fine arts auction every five weeks.  Check out their website at  It's an amazing business and I love being involved with it.
Also, from January 1st through April 15 of each year I work as a Licensed Tax Preparer for H&R Block.  Sometime, years in the future, I'm hoping to have enough experience to venture out on my own.  But for now, working for someone else is the way to go...
Then I also volunteer in local government.  I guess my experience as Freshman representative (and Sophomore and Junior and Senior!) rep to the Band Council, made a strong impression on me.  I have been an elected "Official" of Wood Village for the past 6 years...I am a City Councilor for our small town of Wood Village.  I am up for re-election again this November.  I wish each of you were a resident of Wood Village so you could vote for me!
Hmmm, I guess that's it.  I have so many interests that I have trouble keeping up with it all.  But if I had to choose one of the activities that satisfies me the best, I'd have to say it was antiques and e-Bay.  I have been selling various items on e-Bay for the past three or so years and LOVE IT!  I go yard-saling at every opportunity (and also buy from O'Gallerie's Auction House when a good buy comes along!), and then turn it around on
e-Bay.  Check out my e-Bay online sales name of:  smokeyjasmine    I keep thinking to the future when I can make a living just driving around to yard and estate sales and then selling the items for profit on e-Bay.  If I only had the security of a husband, I could probably do just that!  But alas, the world has different plans for me...
I am SO SAD to not be there with all of you the night of October 18th.  I'll be keeping all of you in my thoughts and hoping that SOMEHOW I can manage a last minute trip to Tempe!  (My dad lives in ShowLow and I keep telling him that I plan to come to visit "any day now".  So maybe I can make both dreams come true at once.)  Okay, here's my promise:  If a special fare comes available on the Alaska Airlines website for the weekend of October 18, I'll take it as a "Sign" and make it my mission to come to this reunion!  So who knows, if Alaska Airlines comes through, then I'll be seeing each of you in person.  I sure hope so!
Email me!  I'd love to hear from you!

Ron Abrahams ‘72
From McClintock I went to a small Christian College in California. A six-piece band’s drummer left and they decided to try a new sound: trumpet.  I auditioned and they asked me to join.  I was amazed that they thought I was good, but was happy they thought so.  It wasn’t really hard stuff, kind of a mix of pop gospel and Carpenters. We did school assemblies, fund-raising dinners, church functions, and civic events. Our biggest audience was about three thousand people in the grand ballroom of the Disneyland Hotel.  Other highlights included a Pat Boone TV special and the ‘Miss Welcome to Long Beach Pageant’ on the Queen Mary where Richard Dawson, the emcee, yelled at me on stage…he was drunk.
Two years later I moved back to Arizona and took up the harmonica for my own personal enjoyment. Eventually I met my musical wife, Becky, a Tempe High graduate, who sang in their choir (don’t worry; she’ll never get the secret password).  When I met her she sang in a gospel ensemble which sang in churches around the state.  That was fun as we would make each out-of-town engagement a weekend trip visiting various points of interest around the state.
We had three children - Molly (now pre-med at UofA), Simon, and Rachel (who attends Apollo High School in Glendale).  Becky and I encouraged our children to follow in our footsteps, to play instruments or sing.  Molly took piano lessons, Simon played trumpet, and Rachel sang in school choirs, but they all soon lost interest.
I especially remember Simon’s first concert.  He was in band in junior high school.  I was so proud…but I learned later that night it was his last concert.  He told me he only stayed in band long enough for me to see him perform.  He said he knew it was important to me, but that was all he could do; he didn’t like it.  What could I say?  All our kids preferred sports (swimming, tennis, and track).  Becky and I console ourselves with the fact that they all appreciate a wide variety of listening music, including classical, blue grass, and Broadway musicals.
As I mentioned before, I play the harmonica and have a short one-man show I do from time to time at talent shows, summer camps, etc.  My other instrument is a diggery-do (it’s an Aboriginal instrument–my wife’s mother is from Australia and she brought one back for me from a trip), but my family made it a rule that I can only play it when no one is at home.
I recently expanded my musical experience: I joined a Byzantine choir which utilizes Byzantine music theory.  We hope to be able to perform by next summer.  It’s very different from western notation, and doesn’t use the staff; it’s much like learning a different language.
As my kids get older and the nest empties I think of a more active life of music. Several musical goals come to mind: to get a steel drum set and start a band, “Uncle Ron’s Hooray Jamaican Band;” get a software program to write orchestral and jazz music; and to get my lips back in shape so I can play trumpet in a Dixieland band.
I do have an unresolved musical question, (ok questions). In ’71 honor band, we played something called American Suites (I think), one selection was called Wallflower Waltz.  Does anyone remember?  What is the suite really called?  Who wrote it?  Did any orchestra record it?  If so I’d like to get a CD.  If you know, please email me at

Rob Adriaansz ’72
Since graduating from MCClintock in 1972, I have been working in the field of nursing.  I received my BSN from ASU in 1977 having completed the five year plan instead of the customary four.  Most of my nursing career has been in the field of nephrology nursing.  I have worked in some aspect of dialysis for the last eighteen years.  I presently work for RMS Disease Management, a division of Baxter Healthcare, and travel extensively in my role as preceptor/supervisor.  I’m active in the American Association of Nephrology Nurses and am a Certified Nephrology Nurse (CNN-not to be confused with Cable News Network).  I currently reside in Chandler with my domestic partner Ed Besserglick.  We will be celebrating eleven wonderful and blessed years
together on October 17th.
My favorite memories of band are when we went on tour. I remember the one time when we went to Santa Catalina and some of our group got busted for "pot" and had to stay behind while the rest of us went to the island.  I seem to remember that a few people got really seasick on the boat crossing.  They probably felt like they would have been better off left behind.  My favorite music we played wasn't really music.  It was our cadence with Jim playing the cowbells.  We really rocked for a group of predominantly white people.

Steve Bartel '72
After McClintock, I went to A.S.U.  I graduated with a B.A. in '76 and an M.A. in '80.  After five years of teaching elementary school, I made a career change to the field of Human Resources. Over the next twelve years, I worked in various H.R positions in Phoenix, Tufts University in Boston, Kraft (the food company) and finally as a consultant with Hewitt Associates. Tired of the travel, among other things, I have happily returned to teaching elementary school and have been teaching 5th grade for the past nine years in Highland Park, Illinois.  I have been married to my beautiful and talented wife, Marsha, for almost 25 years.  We have two fantastic sons, Nick age 14, and Jake age 10.

Rick Brandt ’72
           Realizing that music was not my forte, I wandered around Arizona and southern California in search of something that would bring total satisfaction, instant wealth, and make me irresistible to women. I realized that was a futile search and gave up on all three. I settled into a career of construction & real estate investing first in California and later back in Tempe, where I am today. I have a woman in my life that is able to tolerate my faults—or as she puts it—appreciate my uniqueness. There are no children, cats, dogs, snakes, lizards, etc. In spite of the lack of these things, much of the time I enjoy the life that I have.

John Dunstan ’72
I graduated from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1976 and spent the next 21 years in the Air Force, mostly flying B-52s (no, I didn’t fly the Gulf War—to paraphrase General George Patton from the movie, I “shoveled snow in Michigan.”)  I retired as an operational test pilot in 1997 and got hired by Continental Airlines.  I currently fly Boeing 737s out of Cleveland as a First Officer (read “copilot”).  I live just west of Akron and am married to an obviously patient and understanding wife—no kids, but 2 CUTE cats.
In late 1970 or early 1971, the Charger Band was tapped to play for the opening ceremonies of Pilot Stadium, built by the Seattle Pilots shortly before they abandoned Seattle and became the Milwaukee Brewers.  The stadium is now Tempe Municipal Stadium or some such.  Anyway, we were all gathered around second base facing home plate (I think we were in uniform).  We were to accompany a local singer to the National Anthem.  Mr. Mabbitt gave his patented “fast point” to the drum section for the grand drum roll prelude to the Star Spangled Banner.  After a good 10 seconds, Mabbitt cut off the drum roll and raised his arms for the downbeat.  In that time span, the entire stadium fell silent—except for “…BY THE DAWN’S EARLY LIGHT…” blaring over the public address system by the singer, who apparently hadn’t been clued in on the drum roll gig.  The comically hopeless look on Mabbitt’s face said it all:  “Well, boys and girls, here we are.  The singer started without us.  There’s no going back now.  If we were all studio musicians, we could join him in progress and salvage this moment.  But since we’re only a high school band—a very good one, but a high school band all the same—this singer is royally screwed.”  He then gave the downbeat, and we pressed on, without the services of at least one first trumpet player who was laughing too hard to play a single note.  Sorry about that.
PS from Larry Mabbitt:  The singer on the National Anthem had been fully briefed on how we played the Anthem, and had been invited to a rehearsal at the school.  He said, "No, I've done this a thousand times, I know how it goes, I don't have time for a rehearsal."  So much for ASU tenor, opera performance majors.

Dan Malone ’72
Here is my life story for the past 30 years?  After McClintock I went in the Army for 4 years.  I got to do a bunch of fun stuff and spent 2 years behind the Iron Curtain in East Berlin.  After I was done with that and I realized that I was not going to be killed in Vietnam, I decided I better grow-up, so I got some education in the computer information field. (BS from ASU, MBA from U. of Dallas.)  I have been with my current company for 15 years.  I have survived 5 mergers, a de-merger, and numerous take-over exercises of smaller companies, a couple of moves and a whole bunch of job titles (I am currently the Director of Strategic Intelligence development, which means I run a group that is a crossbreed between a think tank and new business development).  Our parent company’s headquarters is in Basel, Switzerland and we have sisters companies all over the globe.  I have traveled so much that if I never leave the US again, I would be happy.  (One year I did 18 trips to Europe.)  I have been on our Executive Committee since ?96, so my only real remaining skill is that I can go to meetings, make presentations and help make decisions that screw-up everyone else’s life.
I have great wife and stepson. He is currently working on his MBA at the University of North Texas in Denton. I have no pets, but I do have 3 motorcycles.  I just finished a 3,000-mile ride through Utah, Northern Arizona, New Mexico, and Colorado, then back home to Boise, ID.  By the way, I am the only executive in my company to show-up for major meeting on a Harley-Davidson Road King.

Rich Peterson ’72
• Graduated from MHS in ’72 and packed away my trumpet….
• Graduated from Arizona State in ’76 (B.S. Geology)…
• Moved to Houston at the peak of the oil boom in ’77...then volunteered for the Exxon army
• Resided in Rio de Janeiro for oil exploration in Brazil and Suriname
• Married in 1980 to Susan (from Mesa) and quit the army to move to Las Vegas and manage oil & gas technology research projects…NK1C (no kids, 1 cat)
• Presently V.P. of Branagan & Associates, a consulting geotechnical consulting company in Las Vegas…also a part-time resident in Chino Valley, AZ
• Still drive the same ’68 Ford F-100 pickup truck that I drove in high school
Many, but these come to mind: On tour, Hoover/Scherrer/Robershotte motel-room “wrassling” resulting in a broken window and subsequent exile back to home territory…Larry Mabbit’s green panel truck… Jim Settlemoir’s creative writing (“Queen” Beben, “Seat-Little” Stadium)…banishment from Band Photo Day for having hair too long… the fog of Right Guard deodorant in the closet-size dressing room following morning marching rehearsals.
Favorite songs?…Pussy Wiggle Stomp, Sabre Dance, Whatever Lola Wants, and anything from the Bill Moffitt Sound-Power Series

Mike Scherrer ’72
Wow.  Has it really been 30 years?  How to describe those years without boring everyone to tears?  (For a fast non-boring summary, just read the words in bold.)
Well, after high school, I attended ASU on a music scholarship.  After two years of majoring in music, I realized that I wasn’t going to fulfill my dream of becoming a professional musician so, of course, switched my major to accounting.
After college, I went to work as a CPA for Arthur Andersen!  (Yes. That Arthur Andersen.  However, we didn’t do much shredding back then so the feds weren’t after us.)
After leaving Arthur Andersen, and working for several smaller CPA firms, I formed my own CPA firm in 1984.  Just this September, I merged my firm with a larger firm located in the Scottsdale Airpark area where I am the tax manager.
Meanwhile, in 1983 I married a wonderful woman who has supported me through my various career and personal changes.  She had two girls from a previous marriage, so now I have seven grandchildren.  We had a girl of our own in 1984, who was a straight A, National Merit Scholarship Finalist student.  Nicole has just started ASU as an electrical engineering major.
I haven’t given up music altogether, just gave up trying to make a living at it.  I still have a drum set and play in my church group.  Contemporary Christian music has a lot of variety, and still gives me the chance the rock out occasionally.  Stop by St. Timothy’s Catholic Church Saturday at 5:00 and look for the drummer with less hair than 30 years ago.
Is that it?  That was 30 years’ worth?  Well, I might have missed a few details but that’s the gist of it. 
John Dunstan has already mocked me for mentioning this, but that won’t stop me (Editor’s NOTE: When did it EVER stop you?—J.D.).  The most vivid memory for me is of being sent home from a California band trip early due to a window breaking incident.  Yes, it was my foot, but I swear it was Paul Robershotte’s and Larry Hoover’s faults.

Jodi Schwartz (Ferreira) ‘72
Let's see, what have I done the last 30 years...well, I was a "Tri-Delt" at Arizona State University then went on to work in the field of Human Resources. After about 6 years I opted to pursue something more glamorous and adventurous so went into the travel industry. I managed a travel agency for 10 years which afforded me the opportunity to travel the world. As the wheel of life goes 'round, I am now back in Human Resources as a Specialist with Electronic Data Systems. My 18 yr old son, Nicolas, is a dead-ringer for Tom Cruise and is reminded of that quite frequently, I tell him Hollywood is in his future, however, he adamantly disagrees. As for me—I am currently accepting applications for the position of "significant other".

Jim Settlemior ’72
Ah, another band memory.  Eldon Whisler (’75) lighting his drumhead on fire with a flare. Gets me all choked up remembering.  "Whisler, you idiot!  Don't point it at the drumhead!" (Editor’s NOTE: Normally, we wouldn’t allow a story to be told on someone who won’t be able to defend himself, but this was too good to pass up.  Bless you, Eldon, wherever you are—J.D.)
Memory #2:
John Dunstan has already mentioned the baseball game performance where the National Anthem singer started belting it out during the drum roll. But I have another memory from that same event:
When the Band arrived at the stadium, the contact person there instructed Mabbitt to assemble us out at 2nd base for our pre-game performance. I remember Mabbitt being visibly incredulous. We had to stand out at 2nd base? That's nuts! He probably protested, but we ended up at 2nd base anyway.  Once we were there, he instructed us all to go through the motions of playing while not making a sound. Fingers would move, slides would slide, and drumsticks would flail the air, but no one was to make any noise whatsoever. Nothing. Nada. Pin drop silence.  The baton brought us to attention and we began. Mabbitt conducted furiously.  He was probably thinking of "Night on Bald Mountain" he was going at it with such vigor. We raced through difficult passages with ease. Not a note was missed. Trills and accents, flams and flats were all precise and perfect. Way out there on 2nd base, the McClintock High School Charger Band gave the performance of a lifetime without making a sound.  At last, Mabbitt brought the silence to an awe-inspiring "crescendo" and climax. With a wondrous flourish of his flashing baton, executing a move that would dislocate the shoulders of any mortal band director, he brought this spectacular performance to a close.
Mabbitt dropped his arms. He was spent. So was his band.
We dropped our instruments.
And the audience in the stands... applauded.

Sue Brandt (Wood) ’73
I haven't done anything great with my life, but I have had a great life. I married early and stayed married. We have four daughters (what a hoot), and at times, assorted animals. I prefer the large 4 legged ones (horses). I have not gotten my degree yet, but I am still working in that direction. While most of my friends were learning English 101, I was learning how to surf! I stayed home with my girls until they were all in school. Then I found a job with the Game and Fish Department. I've been here for nearly 14 years. I live in Pinetop and yes, I learned how to be a refugee this summer. I was however, allowed to stay in town and work at the fire department (I have an in at the fire dept, my husband is a firefighter). The best part was I got to sleep in my own bed ever night. You never want to see the National Guard take over your town! But of all the stuff I have done in my life, the most important thing still remains my family and friends. After the events that have happened during this past year, I think the reunion was planned for a perfect time, to renew old friendships and to build new friendships.
Well, I hate selling Christmas card, chocolate, records and anything that makes you go door to door. But I have mercy on the kids that come knocking at my door and always buy whatever they are selling. On one of our selling trips, we managed to squeeze 12 people in Bruce Dunn's VW.  I remember going to classes all sweaty and smelly for the first month or two each year. And uniform inspection, and baggies! I remember sitting in between Ed Smith and Don Teason at every football game. That was an experience! And playing Pomp and Circumstance until I thought my jaw was going to fall off! And painting the green thing one year at my house. TP buddies that still remember our escapades.  Marching in Yuma during a dust storm. And never NEVER NEVER lock your knees! Charger band was definitely a fun experience.

Dan Dominguez '73
I joined the Navy in 1973 and have been on active duty ever since (29 years this October). I eventually earned a Masters Degree in Healthcare Administration from Baylor University and a Ph.D. in Health Management and Policy from the University of Iowa. I served as a Navy healthcare administrator for 13 years culminating in an assignment as Officer in Charge of an ambulatory care clinic in Bermuda. I have been in academics since 1995 and currently I am an associate professor in, and now director of, the U.S. Army-Baylor University Graduate Program in Healthcare Administration. I have been happily married to my wife Sam for 20 years, reside in San Antonio, TX, and have three children: Dan (19), Becky (17) and Ben (15).

Janet Godin (Van Vliet ) '73
I mainly did the working single mom routine after high school. I started my family in '75 and had three daughters. Unfortunately my marriage didn't work out. My oldest daughter is married with 2 children and working as a bookkeeper/office manager for the painter's union. My second daughter has her BIS degree and is now in Law School at ASU. My youngest daughter is finishing her AA degree in Theatre Education at MCC and will be transferring to ASU next spring. I had been employed as a bookkeeper/data entry specialist until I spent 3 1/2 years taking care of my grandmother. Since this put me out of the work force for such a long time I decided it was time for a change in careers. I am now a student at ASU going for my Bachelor's degree in Interdisciplinary Studies. My emphasis areas are in Family Studies and Education and I am Minoring in Psychology. My long term goal is to become a counselor for children in crisis.

Vickie Hess ‘73
Here I sit struggling to put concisely what has happened to me the last 30 years. It is a good thing we do this now or I may not remember in another 30.  After leaving high school, there was a 5 year stint at ASU, the first year I majored in music.  However, mom found out how much musicians made and I consequently switched to something that did not border on minimum wage (no offense to those who DID manage to make it in that field-and I'm jealous).  I graduated in 1978 in nursing.
Being raised in the Air Force I was used to traveling every few years and that need kept me from staying in Arizona too much longer.  In 1980, I traveled to Saudi Arabia as a nurse and stayed for 18 months.  It was the experience of a lifetime.  After earning enough money to put myself through a "certificate program" for neonatal nurse practitioners I graduated in 1984 from the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center and Denver Children's.
Because the weather was too cold in Denver for these Arizona bones I moved to San Antonio, then back to Scottsdale and in 1987, I decided to go back to Saudi Arabia. I managed a 2-1/2 year stay there working as a staff nurse and making more money. When I came back I decided to settle down and came back "home" to Arizona. I bought a house in Gilbert and added 2 more cats and 2 more dogs for a total of 6. Then low and behold!! in 1994 I added a husband. Something I thought would never happen and very glad that I did.
I presently am in a Master's Program in nursing at ASU and will be starting my research to complete a thesis and graduate expanding my role into that of a pediatric nurse practitioner. It has been a long process. For the last 10 12 years I have been working at Mesa Lutheran Medical Center as a neonatal nurse practitioner and enjoy it but I am am looking forward to less hospital-work and more in the outpatient setting as a PNP.

Rick Hoover '73
After graduating from good old McClintock, I had received a scholarship to attend the college of my choice (as long as it was ASU) for one year.  I chose to go to ASU.  But after that year, I wanted to get out of town and see the world.  So, I decided to join the Navy.  Unfortunately, I ended up in submarines.  So, while I did get to see much of the world, it was mostly through the cross hairs of a periscope!   Once I got out of the Navy, I ended up living in Buckeye, Arizona (while working at Palo Verde).  I got married to a wonderful wife (with a career), and we have one beautiful girl (currently in 7th grade).  Three years ago, my wife's career brought us to Northern California (Davis - near Sacramento).  I became a "stay-at-home-dad" while my wife worked and my daughter went to school.  (Secretly, I have always wanted to become a housewife!!!)
When my daughter started playing clarinet in the school band, I decided to rent a French Horn and see if I still had talent.  I was surprised to find out that I do still have it!  If I practice real hard, I could probably make the 7th grade band (they always need Horn players!).
I have recently started attending a local community college to finally obtain a degree (hopefully I'm going to be a math teacher when I grow up).  Going to college is so much more fun this time around!  So....not bad for someone voted "Most Likely To Succeed" huh????
When we went on tour to Disneyland, and got to march in the parade down Mainstreet, I had witnessed something that changed my life forever.  As we were getting ready for the parade (taking off our baggies, etc.), behind the scenes lining up with the Disney characters, I witnessed one of the dwarfs (Grumpy I think) pinch Snow White's butt.  That wasn't the shocking would expect that of a horny little dwarf....but when Snow White turned around and smacked his hand away and said "Stop it you little fart!"....I was totally devastated.

Jon Mauney ’73
Marching: National Emblem
El Cumbanchero
Concert: Stars and Bars (Jaeger)
Festive Overture (Shostakovich)
Suite of Old American Dances (Bennett)
Russian Christmas Music (Reed)
other: Indian Lady
In response to your question about favorite pieces, I was trying to remember what we played. My absolute favorites I remember, but there were lots of others I don't. Lots of pieces by MacBeth and Nelhybel but I can't remember any titles.  Also there was a piece called "Canzona" which is not exactly a unique name; it had a great part for alto clarinet, and I'd love to hear it again, but without a composer's name, searching is futile.  If the kids on the Historian staff actually had any sense of history they'd include vital information like this, instead of all those pictures of football players.
Attended University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, majoring in Math and playing
in the Marching Tarheels, which was not as good a band as the Chargers.  Went to University of Wisconsin-Madison for a Ph.D. in Computer Science and did not play in the band. Taught at NC State University for 9 years and now work as a software engineer for a start-up company. Married a woman from Hawaii and am forced to spend several weeks with my in-laws every year.

Barbara Wesler (Winn) ‘73
Thought we would get you up to date on the Wesler family.  Our brother, Bill, passed away 10 years ago of melanoma cancer.  He had a wonderful family—wife, Sherry and 3 children, ages 2, 4 and 6 when he died.  After graduating he pursued careers with the Highway Patrol and Insurance.
Linda has been married for 30 years to Paul Child and resides in Bountiful, Utah.  They have 3 beautiful daughters, whom are all married, and 2 granddaughters.
Barbara has been married for 25 years to Lance Winn (graduated from McClintock in ' 70).  They have resided in Austin, Texas for 13 years.  Their 2 boys are both college athletes—Brett a baseball player for Lamar University in Beaumont, Texas; and Eric a tennis player for Cleveland State University in Cleveland, Ohio.